Friday, May 30, 2008

Progress

We received our adoption assistance paperwork in the mail yesterday for both Baylee & Caleb, which means now we can petition for their adoptions. It has only been a little over 2 months since that paperwork was sent to the state... obviously it was not at the top of their priority list.

Don't get too excited, though. It will still probably be several months before we actually get a court date. Once we file the petition, there is something else that has to be sent to the state before we can even get a court date. But, at least we are moving forward.

I don't worry too much about it since we know we get to keep them, but it would be nice to actually get to make legal decisions for them and to not have to remember their legal names whenever we go to the doctor or court. (Right now, I don't even have Caleb's medical insurance card, the carrier won't send it to me because I am not his legal guardian. I'm just the one who actually takes him to the doctor and the one who has to sign the forms at the doctor. Luckily, the clinic was able to get the information they needed, but, still, it would be nice to have it myself.)

Maybe we can even get their adoptions finalized by the end of the year. (But I wouldn't hold your breath).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, since I know how these things work, I won't hold my breath- but I will keep it in my prayers!

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

Your stories of how your family has grown is amazing and it is so wonderful that you have ventured the many obstacles to have such a wonderful family.