Thursday, September 4, 2008

One Brave Patient

Last weekend, Chris took the older boys & Amata camping. They went toad hunting Saturday night, and I guess the best time to go toad hunting is when it's dark out. Somehow, while hunting, Amata managed to get a hunk of wood stuck under her big toe nail. I wouldn't call it a sliver, because it was about 1/8 inch wide.

Caleb, Baylee & I went out on Sunday to hang out with them. Chris had tried to get as much of it out as he could, but there wasn't much to grab onto, plus Amata would jerk her foot away every time Chris tried. So, Amata and I went off to Urgent Care...oh, what fun. At least we were at the camper, so it wasn't the urgent care I usually go to. However, having what the referred to as a sliver under a big toe does not exactly get you to the top of the urgent care priority list. So we waited, and waited, until we finally got in to see the doctor. Thank goodness they had Cartoon Network on the TV in the waiting area.

As I expected, the doctor said they would have to giver her novocaine shots around her big toe in order to get the wood out. I've had a novocaine shot in my toe before...it hurts! So, I had to hold Amata on my lap and 2 nurses held her leg & foot while the doctor gave her the shots. She screamed during that part, but after that was over, they got her a sucker and she was all better. Once the toe was numb, I covered her eyes while the doctor worked on her toe. Amata wanted to watch, but I didn't think it would be a good idea.

The doctor ended up cutting all the way down to the base of her toe to get the remaining bit of wood out...it was only about 1/4 inch long. After that she got her toe taped up and was ready to go, along with some antibiotics, just in case. The closed pharmacy was only about 5 minutes away, but Amata was sleeping be the time we got there. She slept all the way through the store, back to the camper and on the couch in the camper for over an hour. I guess all of the excitement wore her out. She hasn't complained once about her toe hurting since it happen, so I'd say we got off pretty easy!

No comments: