Monday, August 4, 2008

Benefits are sometimes Negatives

My interview last week went pretty well. I wouldn't say it was the best I've ever had, but the one time I did think an interview went awesome, I didn't get the job, so obviously, I am not a great judge of that! They thought they'd make a decision by the end of the week.

But as much as I am ready to move on, I'm not sure if I will take the job, if they offer. The actual job sounds great, it sounds like it is basically doing the accounting, books & payroll for several different companies, which is the part of my job that I really do like. The problem is that I have REALLY good benefits with the City.

I don't pay anything towards the premium for family insurance coverage and the City even pays up the deductible up to $500.00. Seriously! That includes vision & dental insurance. I also only live a mile away, and we close at 4, so I am usually home by about 4:05. The company I interviewed with is open until 5 and it is quite a drive. Plus, I would have to pay 300-500 per month towards the insurance premium, depending on which one I chose. They did say that the hours can be a little flexible, and there was a possibility of doing some telecommuting down the road, but of course none of that is guaranteed.

So we'll see if they even offer me the job to begin with, and if the pay will make it worth losing some of my benefits. In the mean time, we'll just keep looking!

No comments: