Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Way to go Cameron!

It is swimming lesson season around here. I realize in many places, swimming lessons go all year long, but in our small town, with an outdoor pool in Minnesota, swimming lessons are only offered in the summer.

Tyler has always swam like a fish, so he has been done with lessons for 2 years, I think. Cameron, on the other hand has not always enjoyed swimming so very much, to put it mildly. So, even though he is only 2 years younger than Tyler, he was signed up for level 3 this year. (There are 6 levels in all). It took him at least 2 years each to pass levels 1 & 2.

He wasn't necessarily afraid of the water, as long as he could touch the bottom. Up until now, I could count on one hand the number of times he had gone off of the diving board. And I would still have some fingers left over. And that includes the time the teacher dropped him into the water from the diving board with him saying, "no, wait, I changed my mind". She had even promised him a sundae cone just to get him onto the diving board so that she could drop him in.

This year, however, he seems to finally be more comfortable in the water. His lessons were supposed to go for 2 weeks, through this Friday. However, he & Tyler are planning to go to their aunt's for week beginning tonight, so we had to ask his teacher if he could try to test out early. I was a little leery about this, because of his troubles in the past, I thought he might need those last 2 days of lessons to have a chance at passing.

I was wrong - He came home today and announced that he had in fact passed level 3! I told him if he wanted to try to get through the levels faster, he could sign up for level 4 in August, but he's still thinking about that. It doesn't make any difference to me, he knows he has to go through all 6 levels, so if he wants to be going for 3 more years, that's his prerogative. (Just so you know, I did spell check this, and that really is how you spell prerogative. It sure didn't look right to me!)

2 comments:

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

Congrats to Cameron ... I was always (and still am) the one who likes to sit on the side with my feet in the water. I do know how to swim but really enjoy just splashing in the kiddie pool the most!

Anonymous said...

good job cameron!