Friday, April 18, 2008

One Expensive Date

About 6 months ago, we decided to start a date night with each of the older boys. With all of the babies, and foster children, we thought we needed to make sure they were getting some attention, too. Each month each of us will go out with Tyler or Cameron & they get to pick what they want to do and where they want to eat. When we started, we were also doing it with the older foster child we had.

Somehow, though, in this rotation, I think I got the short end of the stick. In the 8 times I've gone out with one of the boys, I've had Arby's 4 times, Taco Bell 2 times, Culver's and Subway. I was also the one who went with Tyler when he chose to see the movie "Meet the Spartans" - All I have to say about that movie is that it was an hour & twenty minutes of my life that I will NEVER get back! (However, Tyler did like it, and it was HIS night out). Chris on the other hand has had Green Mill, Chinese Buffet and I think even Old Country Buffet. I do enjoy this time with the boys, but I'm just saying...would it kill them to chose some nicer restaurants when I am with them?

Anyway, Tyler loves Taco Bell (although he said it wasn't his Favorite restaurant, but it was within the top 3) I don't mind Taco Bell, although I wouldn't call it my favorite. (I tend to lean towards Red Lobster, Chinese, and things along that route.) The problem is, Tyler is a wee bit on the picky side (and by a wee bit, I mean he is the pickiest eater I have ever seen...he will even only eat a certain brand of BBQ sauce!). So, when Tyler orders at Taco Bell, he orders everything ala carte. A cheese quesadilla with a side of sour cream, nachos & cheese, a caramel apple empanada, cinnamon twists and a small pop. Our total, for the 2 of us to eat at Taco Bell was over $13!

I just think that is a lot for a couple of tacos and some tortillas & cheese! Then we had some time before the movie started so we were wandering around the mall for a while and he informs me that he needs new tennis shoes for school. His current shoes apparently are torn on the side by the sole. I honestly don't know what that boy does to his shoes! One year I seriously ended up buying him 3 pairs of shoes! I always buy them a pair of name brand shoes at the beginning of the school year, but if they need more I usually just go to Payless & get them an inexpensive pair. So we went to Shopko and checked out Payless - the only pair he found there were over $30.00! So we looked in their other shoe section and found a pair of Nike's for $25.00. Which is a great price, I just wish they would last him longer! Seriously, I have no clue how he wears through his shoes so fast!

No comments: