Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dear Wal-Mart Cashier

I am the customer you scolded on Saturday for going through the self checkout with 61 items. Now, I do realize that the self checkouts at your store do have a tag-board sign taped to them stating they are now for 25 items or less…that is part of the reason I chose to go to the lane furthest away from you, but also because that lane has a longer place to put the merchandise on. But, seriously, did you know that you are the only store I've ever been to, including many other Wal-Mart stores, that actually has the self checkout lanes labeled as 25 items or less? It was bad enough when your store moved the baby formula to the 10 items or less lane, and now you changed the self checkout lanes? I feel like you don't want people with large families…which usually means fuller shopping carts…to even shop there.

Now, in my defense, all of the other lanes with cashiers had lines with people waiting, and all but one of the six self checkout lanes were empty. Plus, I know that I can get my 61 items scanned through in about ½ the time that it takes most people to scan 25 items…I've been behind many of these people, and it is all I can do not to just walk up to them and say "please, just let me do it for you".

I realize you were just doing your job, and that's fine. But I promise you that if the situation arises again, I will do the same thing. (Thus the reason I did not actually tell you I was sorry, or that I would not do it again, I simply said, "no problem"). I just don't think it is good customer service for me to have to wait in line while 5 self checkout lanes remain empty.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm with ya girl! (not the big family in the self check out) . .but the "don't worry about being scolded when you know you did it the right/smart way!"

:)

Anonymous said...

Seriously- they changed ALL the self-checkouts? UGGGH! Our walmart doesn't have any SCOLs, but the grocery store does. 1 is labeled as 12 items or less, the rest are unlimited. I often use them with large orders because, like you, I can scan quickly. Drives me crazy being behind someone with 2-5 items who takes 20minutes to scan their order!