Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back in Business

I started my third week of daycare, and overall, it is still going pretty well for me. This week did start off with a bit of a snag, however. The other night, I cleaned out the fridge, and ended up dumping quite a bit into the garbage disposal. I didn't think it would be a problem, since it was mainly spaghetti & stuff, softer foods. But, apparently, I was wrong. The sink in our kitchen got clogged.

I was hopeful it was something Chris could fix, with some Drano, and when that didn't work, I knew he had a snake. I guess it had been building up for a while, though, because neither of those things worked. So, I finally got the plumber here today.

The conversation started a bit shaky, when he said he the pipes must be enclosed inside the walls, since he couldn't see where they were just by looking under the ceiling tiles. That did not sound like fun to me, as I'm sure the bill would have gotten mighty spendy, not to mention the mess. And since Chris had already tried a 25 foot snake, he was not very hopeful that the he would be able to get to the clog without tearing up walls. He was willing to try, though. So, he ran back to the shop to get what he called a "medium piece of equipment" which was 30 feet long, and a little more powerful than a snake. He had me go downstairs to see if I could hear the cable in order to figure out where exactly the pipes did run. It appears they go through the closet in Cameron's room. Fortunately, he was able to find & clear a blockage with this piece of equipment, and the drain is once again working properly.

Of course, that also meant I no longer had an excuse not to clean the kitchen (without the drain working, I couldn't run the dishwasher, and since it takes forever to get hot water to this faucet, and I had no drain, there wasn't much else I could do, either.) It also meant that my family was probably going to expect a real dinner tonight. Last night I served Eggo waffles & eggs. Because we couldn't have anything that needed water like pasta, and it was really hot inside the house, so I really didn't want to turn on the oven, either. I was pretty proud of myself, since I'm really not much of a cook. 87% of what I make comes from a box. But, Tyler requested a cheese omelet, and it turned out pretty dang good, if I do say so myself. Perfectly shaped & everything. Then I decided to get really daring & try to do some over easy eggs for myself (scrambled eggs are my specialty, since you really have to try to screw those up). The over easy's were pretty good, too. I didn't break the yoke or over cook it.

After a great culinary experience like that, I didn't want to over-do it tonight, so we had Chicken Kiev & wild rice...both from a box :-)

No comments: