Friday, December 19, 2008

Government

Here is an email exchange I recently had with the State of MN.

INITIAL EMAIL TO THE MN DEPT OF HEALTH:

We finalized the adoptions of our youngest two children in September, but we still have not received their new birth certificates. The checks have yet to be cashed, also. I was just informed by the social security office that I cannot get new social security numbers issued to them without a birth certificate. Is there some way to find out where my applications are and when the birth certificates might be issued?

They are for Caleb Alexander *** & Baylee Rayne ***.

Thank You,
Stacie


THEIR RESPONSE:

Ms. ***,
Thank you for your inquiry. We received your paperwork on Oct. 6 and we’re currently reviewing submissions received on Sept. 16. We should be reviewing your submission within the next 2-4 weeks.


John A. ***

MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
Office of the State Registrar
P.O. Box 64882
St. Paul, MN 55164-0882


MY REPLY:


Thank you for your quick response. Is there any way to expedite those? I was told by the Social Security Office that I cannot get new Social Security numbers for them without the birth certificates, and I cannot file my taxes without the Social Security numbers. If I remember correctly from when my daughter was adopted, it took about 3-4 weeks to get the new Social Security card once I applied for it.

Thanks again for your help!
Stacie


THEIR RESPONSE:

To expedite your request, we require a fee of $20. If you mail us a check, we can get started as soon we receive the check. If you call with a credit card number, we can get started sooner, but we would also require an additional $6 credit card processing fee.

John A. ***
MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
Office of the State Registrar
P.O. Box 64882
St. Paul, MN 55164-0882


TRANSLATION:

If you actually want us to do our job in a relatively timely manner, you will need to pay us another $26 for each child...in addition to the $56 each that you already paid for the birth certificates.

No wonder government employees have such a bad rap! I really don't get why it takes so long. Considering the fact that although I signed the form & wrote the check, it was the Court Administrator that actually completed & mailed in the forms. That works for the same judge who granted the adoption, so really, what is it they have to check?

I have to say, the Social Security Admin also makes me shake my head. (Please note, I am not complaining about the employees at the office in my area, as they have always been extremely nice & helpful. When I got Amata's new number, I was in & out of that office in less than 5 minutes!) But, according to them, if I just wanted to change their names on their existing SSA accounts, the certified court documents I already have would be just fine. (Their biological mother has their current numbers...the same biological mother who has a conviction for check forgery charges. She wouldn't think twice about trying to steal their identities. Thus the reason I want new numbers.)

Also, since their biological mother applied for their current SSN's from the hospital, a birth certificate was not required then. But for me to get new numbers for my adopted children, I have to have the physical birth certificates. UGH!!

I refuse to pay another $52 just to get their Birth Certificates a week faster. I guess I'll just have to live with possibly not being able to file my taxes on Feb 1st. (With so many kids and a daycare in our home, we always get a refund, which I like to get as soon as possible.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys! Love the Blog! Congrats on the school and the new job Chris. The Whiteside bunch sure are super cute!!!!



Liz, Nate and Ella Willson

Carrie said...

A. Yeah - just relax - you'll file when you file. You cannot control this.

B. Seems to me - that in the time they took to respond to your letters - maybe they could have ACTUALLY processed your paperwork!